[Lazarus] Unicode text difference between source editor and other Edit controls on Windows

ik idokan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 00:43:34 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 01:26, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Partly related to issue
>   21817: "FileUtil.CopyFile" would failed to work with Unicode Characters
> filename.
>
> My tests failed when I copied the file name directly to source editor.
> They succeeded when I used a FileNameEdit to select the file name.
> Why does it happen?

NTFS and FAT works in a very wrong way. They have code pages for the
filename. so if you are using an Arabic filename for example, you must
first know if you are using code page for Arabic (and there is more
then one for Arabic afaik), or does it use UTF-8 or UTF-16 afaik.

> I remember I participated in a forum discussion about a similar issue. I can
> dig it out if needed.
> Then it happened on Linux, too. I piece of unicode text looked different on
> source editor compared to other places, including Kate editor (part of KDE).

In KDE you have also Okteka that is a hex editor, what are the
differences that you see there ?