[Lazarus] Strip debug info

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 08:32:49 CEST 2012

Am 30.04.2012 07:30 schrieb "Richard Mace" <richard at shrinkyourbills.co.uk>:

> On 30 April 2012 04:49, Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> While I am personally ambivalent about the default state of -Xg switch,
>> I'd like to point out another use case where it matters:
>> compiling on Windows on slow machine with antivirus installed.
>>
>> When I tried to persuade my students to switch to Lazarus from Delphi,
>> I've got many complaints about Lazarus being too slow.
>> About a third of these complaints were fixed by either excluding
>> Lazarus directory from AV's monitoring list, or turning -Xg on.
>

> Sorry, I might have missed this, but what would be the main disadvantage
for a newbie of having the -Xg switch on at default.
> I don't really understand about the difference between having the debug
info internal to the .exe or external, and I am guessing that the majority
of people coming to Lazarus won't either. I just think the more people will
be complaining about the default size of the .exe as apposed to having the
debug info stored externally, unless I am really missing the point (quite
possibly).

The main disadvantage is that -Xg is rather untested (especially
considering the things that Martin wrote about the IDE) so in the end it
might be less "newb friendly" than the debug info included in the
executable (co.Audrey questions like "why can't I debug anymore?").

Also AFAIK FPC's lineinfo units (for both Stabs and Dwarf) don't work with
external debug info (I don't remember exactly so this needs to be tested).

Regards,
Sven