[Lazarus] Deploying application with librarys

Krzysztof dibo20 at wp.pl
Tue Aug 7 10:20:35 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have application which use openal.dll / openal.so library.

On windows this is easy and clear. I just put all files into InnoSetup
installer and my application find DLL in own directory.

But what with linux? I have installation script which:

- Copy executable to /usr/bin
- Copy icons to /usr/share/icons
- Add application to desktop menu bo copying .destkop file to
/usr/share/applications

I also have uninstall script which delete those files.

But don't know what to do with openal.so library. Should I copy it to
/usr/lib directory? But what if:

- This library already exists (installed e.g by apt-get install
libopenal) and my uninstall script try to delete it?
- This library doesn't exists an my install script copy it to lib
directory and then user try to install it by apt-get install
libopenal. What will happen?

Can I create some my application dir in /usr/bin where I copy all
files with librarys and only my application manage those librarys?

BTW: How linux librarys works? I mean, how portable application works.
If I run executable from unzipped folder, this application find .SO
library in that folder? (like on windows) Or must I create run.sh
script which export this path?

Regards