[Lazarus] search and default

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Aug 2 19:00:21 CEST 2012

Am 2012-08-02 18:26, schrieb Martin:
 >> Now the last missing feature (compared to Turbo Pascal) is to
 >> be able to extend the default search string to the right with the cursor key.
 >> But that's only a goody on top, the main part is very handy now.
 > I don't even understand what that should mean (TP5 is too long ago, a memory of an old pc, dos, and my childhood...)

And still many of the outstanding features are missing in current incarnations of most descendants.
Currently, if you put the cursor somewhere and invoke search the word under the cursor is taken as the default search string.
In Turbo Pascal this was (nearly) the same but you could also extend your search string with the right cursor key adding additional characters.

 > For the example, how is the default search string determined?
 > Word under caret, selection (only none persistent, but then what if persistent), something else?

Yes, that was a problem before because the search default was the selected text (which is useless when it's a persistent block).
Now it uses the text under the cursor in all cases which is as it should be IMO.