[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:49:18 CEST 2012

On 2-8-2012 20:23, Bart wrote:
> On 8/2/12, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking for myself, after submitting a patch, I really don't want to be
>> told that Win9x/ME does things differently and that I should correct my
>> patch to incorporate support.
>
> As long as you do not statically link libraries that are unavailable
> on 9x, it's hardly gonna be a problem.
> Anyhow, this probably is more a fpc problem, since most of those are
> in windows unit etc.
No it isn't. Look at the OpenURL patch that was declined by somebody
else because of your remarks on failing Win9x behaviour. Nothing to do
with linked libraries or FPC.

Is it so strange to get rid of this platform that hasn't been supported
for ages?
Amateurs like you (and I do appreciate the sport of keeping old
hardware/software going - I have an OS/2 2.0 and Win98 VM image on
standby and my wife is glad I finally dumped a ton of old PCs) can
backport any fixes they want without bothering progress ;)

Also, is anybody maintaining GUI software that needs to run on the Win9x
architecture? If so, it's either apparently so business critical that
they can't upgrade/change, which means they can pay for custom Lazarus
development or it's a hobby thing - see argument above.

I have the feeling this platform is kept alive and supported just
because of 1 single person waging a succesful PR campaign and nobody
dares to disagree.

Is there anybody else that needs current Lazarus support for the Win9x
Windows architecture?

Of course, I'm just a (not so) humble contributor and can't shape
policy, so I'm just waging a PR campaign of my own.

Thanks for listening - at least I got it off my chest,

Reinier