[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Aug 3 16:26:48 CEST 2012

> > That is sale, not support. We are not removing old releases from FTP yet :-)
>
> But for someone to still want to buy Win3.1 in 2008, there must
> clearly be some obscure need for it - in this day and age. Weird, I
> know. :-)

I happen to know that. Major OEMs _had_ to deliver machines with a windows
version, per agreement with microsoft.

Major firms and higher(?) education however have site licenses, also per
machine, with significant lower cost per machine then a normal OEM license.

So they did order machines from the major OEMs (Dell, HP) with the cheapest
licensing option available (Win3.11, OEM price Eur 9 or so), and put their
own Windows XP image on it.

In the basement of one of our uni buildings there were several containers, each
about 1m^3 in size full of 3.1x and 9x licenses, CD without case +certificate
shrinkwrapped together (I'm talking about the 2000-2005 timeframe here)

So there probably was no need for those versions. It was merely part of a
licensing construct/loophole.  I'm not working at a company with
sitelicensing anymore so I don't know what the current ways are.