[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Aug 3 16:53:27 CEST 2012

On 8/3/2012 04:34, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Current installer for 1.0RC1 indeed does not run on WinMe.
>
> How ridiculous is it that the applications will probably run fine on
> older Windows versions, but the INSTALLER is the limiting factor and

this is the same thing with the adobe flash installer... flash runs just fine on
w2k but the installer requires winXP... there's two methods to fix this problem,
though... one is to use a shim kernel and install where the shim kernel is
located... another is to hex edit the installer and find the one routine name
and replace it with the older routine name... in the particular case with flash,
it is the dll loading routine... the old name generally used fits exactly in the
new name's place and works just fine... you just have to do this each time
there's an update...

> has different requirements / LIMITATION to the application it is
> installing. Talk about f**ken stupid. Solution: use a different
> installer that doesn't pose such FALSE requirements.

i might suggest to fix the installer so that it detects which OS it is on and
then it will call the proper routine for that OS... but that's me... i don't
know if the above described situation with adobe flash is the same problem we're
seeing here but it is installer related... i don't know what installer adobe is
using and don't know how to find out but the smell is similar ;)