[Lazarus] Please remove Arabic language from the release version

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:20:21 CEST 2012

>> Portuguese users can't read Portuguese, so they are even completely unable
>> to find language switch? Interesting. :)
>
> Nope.
>
> Brazilians know how to read Brazilian Portuguese well, but we, in
> everyday life, usually we use for example the word "Watches" instead
> of "Observadores", because the majority of the programmers learned
> Pascal in an IDE in English - aka Delphi.

Yes, common sense says every programmer needs (at the least) basic
English skills; yes, I too hate every application translation I ever
used so I use English localization whenever I can.
However, I completely agree with Maxim's remarks,

>> Maybe installer can be improved to ask preferred language.
>
> I think that's a great solution for all problems with
> internationalization, and currently several programs use this
> approach.

+1. IMO the installer is the best place to ask for preferred language
or teach how to change it.

>>> Another problem:
>>>
>>> http://imagebin.org/223226

Keep counting ;)
The pt_BR locale is plenty of small errors and "suboptimal"
translations. We need to reach to Marcelo and help him make a usable
translation.

>> See above.
>>
>>> IDE in english as default plz! ¹ :)

<rant>
When I buy a new PC and a Windows copy is forced down on me (because
of MS damn monopoly and shady deals) and it must be in pt_BR (because
of stupid Brazilian laws) and I can't change the language unless I buy
Ultimate (MS international price fixing?), and e.g. "Memory usage
peak" is translated to something that means "Peak-memory usage", then,
yes, I get really pissed.
</rant>
However, I know programmers that don't speak English, so a localized
IDE can reach a wider audience, and I believe most people will/do
realize Lazarus is an OSS project and will overlook translation
problems (but it's better to have a hint in the installer and better
yet be able to change it right away).

Best regards,
Flávio