[Lazarus] LCL not accessible for blind users

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:22:32 CEST 2012

Am 06.08.2012 14:44, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>> Am 06.08.2012 08:31 schrieb "Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho"
>> <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
>> <mailto:felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com>>:
>> > Also this discussion is high platform specific: Which operating system
>> > are you talking about?
>>
>> Based on the fact that the author mentioned "handling a message" I
>> would say that he is talking about Windows. If I'm not mistaken there
>> isn't any Windows specific accessibility support yet, isn't it?
>
> Windows doesn't deserve special support. Send a WM_GETTEXT message to a
> (windowed) control to get its text. I don't think that X11 offers such
> support, because it has no such notion of "controls" - that's up to the
> widgetsets.

This might be true for controls that are based on native controls like
TEdit or TButton, but not for LCL-only controls like TLabel. So there
special handling is needed and to make it as easy as possible for the
application developer this needs to be handled by the LCL. Felipe has
already implemented the base for this and a Mac OS X implementation.
Implementations for GTK, Qt and Windows are still missing though.

Regards,
Sven