[Lazarus] Block indent config

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Aug 8 14:19:13 CEST 2012

On 08/08/2012 12:31, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> Am 2012-08-07 20:03, schrieb Martin:
> >> If none is clearly showing that it has to do with Ctrl+I/U then I
> don't know it.
> >> And it's especially confusing when I see that Ctrl+I/U indents by 2
> columns
> > It would be nice to show the key combo, yes. But it needs to be done
> dynamically as it may change. There could also be a link to set the
> combo....
>
> Yes, showing the key sequence would be best (if it can be retrieved
> dynamically when building the config window).
> But what confused me was that the settings only talked about TAB doing
> the indent.
> It looked as if the whole settings only apply to the TAB key and if
> unchecked, they are irrelevant.
> What I missed was some information that these settings are for all
> "Block indent functions".

I guess the issue is that "tab" can mean the key or the char. If you
have better terminology... (see comments on space below)

The problem, if even worse, on other places as tab also is used in
notebook-context

> >> but none of the setting is set to 2.
> > Maybe worth showing the tabs including the translated width? But
> that may be confusing too.
>
> Is it realy necessary to have two options (spaces and tabs) here?
> This is completely unexpected at this point.
> I think nobody would want to add spaces *and* tabs (as it happened for
> me unintentionally).
> Wouldn't it be better to have only one number and an addional selector
> for the unit (space or tab)?
Probably. But the only way to find out for sure, is to remove it and
wait for complains (and then add it again)

I don't plan on doing that.

> [x] The TAB-key indents text block too
> There would be only one number and this could be configured to be
> spaces or tabs.
> Also, the word "too" in the last line would clarify that these
> settings are not for the TAB key only.
It is not guaranteed that there is another keycode.
It needs more space to be more clear

BTW: without any indication (on this page) what other things do block
indent), I find the "too" by far more irritating.  (But that is just my
opinion)

> > I'll need to see how much space there is. Moving them to a new page
> would irritate even more people (because eweryone who knows them,
> expects them there)
>
> There is plenty of space available and with my suggestion from above
> only one additional line would be needed.

- You must measure at the minimum size of the dialog.
   People using laptops may have small screens, so min the size will not
be increased.
- Almost all translations are longer, than the English
- there are already issues, because some gtk themes have bigger controls

I agree it could be more clear.
But within the current page, I do not see any acceptable quick fix

I am not sure, if spreading the options on more pages is a better
solution (in terms of having to look at even more pages to find what you
want). But it would appear to be.