[Lazarus] License iTextpdf

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Wed Aug 8 21:40:17 CEST 2012

El mié, 01-08-2012 a las 17:49 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd escribió:
> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you could try to call pdftk using TProcess? It's open source and
> > multi platform (at least Windows and Linux).
>
> I thought pdftk was a thin wrapper around a library... "pdftk uses a
> slightly modified iText Java library (http://itextpdf.sourceforge.net/)
> to read and write PDF. The author compiled this Java library using GCJ
> (http://gcc.gnu.org) so it could be linked with a front end written in
> C++.  The pdftk home page is http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/."

Yes, pdftk a frontend of iText. iText is the swiss knife of PDF manipulation. Most tools related to PDF, including many PDF printers and .NET libraries use iText.
It is the killer library of PDF tools.

But be careful, the license doesn't allow to use it in commercial products (that includes pdftk) http://itextpdf.com/terms-of-use/index.php.
I wanted to use it and it is about 2500 eur developer license plus royalties for every copy deployed.

Nevertheless, old versions of iTextpdf (before 2010) allow something like LGPL:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4321207/what-is-latest-version-of-itext-that-is-not-agpl
http://itext-general.2136553.n4.nabble.com/Silent-license-change-td2156060.html

Santiago