[Lazarus] fpWeb long process progress

Leonardo M. Ramé l.rame at griensu.com
Tue Aug 14 00:31:25 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-13 15:15:56 -0700, leledumbo wrote:
> > How can I send responses by intervals?
>
> AFAIK that's not the way web application works. It's the client that should
> be querying the server in a regular interval (using AJAX request perhaps).
> The server can track current progress status and return that right away when
> asked.

Yes, I know that, but I thought Lazarus have something easy to develop
such process.

The way I'm thinking of implementing is this:

1) The client app asks the server (a CGI process) for a process ID, for
example 123, by calling getProcId.
2) Using this ID, the client calls the time-consuming task, passing the
ID. for example, runTask(Id). At this time, the server launches a
program passing the ID for the task. This must be a multi-thread
program, because it can be asked for running many tasks, and can be
asked for the status of each task. The program only finishes when the
last task is ended.
3) The client calss a getProcStatus(ID) method. The server, using IPC or
Pipes, asks the already-launched process for its status.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com