[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 22:09:20 CEST 2012

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> I particularly like the setup dialogue's feature of displaying candidate
>> Lazarus directories rather than everything. It would be nice if it could
>> be extended to look at what versions of Lazarus were in "peer"
>> directories, and to work out what compiler version each expected-
>> provided this could be done efficiently.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand you right.
> The Lazarus directory must fit the currently running IDE.
> The compiler must fit the FPC source directory.
> The compiler does not need to fit the IDE.
> The compiler must fit the IDE only when recompiling the IDE and that
> depends on the installed packages. They contain IFDEFs for that.

But in most cases, particularly when considering the less-experienced
user who doesn't know his way round the dialogues, the compiler version
to select will be either the one that was used to compile the IDE or the
poorly-defined "appropriate versoin" (i.e. like 2.6.0 is the appropriate
version for 1.0). I think this could be usefully presented as (at least)
a hint.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk