[Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

Bernd prof7bit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 03:21:26 CEST 2012

For only displaying some colored text (not editing) it might be enough
to use the html control from turbopower_ipro that comes with lazarus,
so no installing of 3rd party component needed.

For example I am soon going to use this control to display the
incoming chat messages in my (yet to be written) instant messenger,
there I'm going to need colored time stamps, nicknames and hyperlinks
in the text and maybe also smileys and other fancy stuff but no text
entry, only display. It can display partial (incomplete) documents (no
closing html or body tag) which is important because new content will
be added at the end and it seems to be very fast, fast enough to give
no problems even with very long texts (huge backlogs of old chat
sessions).