[Lazarus] IDE invocation of lhelp, probable endianness issue

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 12:55:09 CEST 2012

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:59:26 +0000
>> Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Linux running on either SPARC or PPC, trying to invoke
>>> context-sensitive help (i.e. F1 key over a keyword) fails with a
>>> dialogue e.g. "Unknown error showing
>>> /forms/tapplication/initialize.html". There's no error addresses etc.
>>> on the console, the exception doesn't break the IDE.
>>
>> Sounds like a bug in lhelp. Can you start lhelp standalone and check?
>
> With the dialogue displayed, the IDE is unresponsive but lhelp is
> running. In that state, lhelp allows me to select a file but fails on
> SPARC (not tested PPC, don't believe I see this on ARM) with a bus error.

On PPC (Mac G3 running Debian "Lenny") I get the "Unknown..." exception
in the IDE but don't get an error in lhelp.

I see neither error on ARM (Debian "Squeeze"). However this is an
armv5tejl as implemented by Qemu emulation, and it might not be as
touchy on alignment issues as something like a genuine armv5tel or there
might be better OS-level handling.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk