[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Anders E. Andersen andersa at ellenshoej.dk
Thu Aug 23 11:50:08 CEST 2012

Den 23-08-2012 10:37, Sven Barth skrev:
>> Where is your source for this? The blogs on the Embarcadero website puts
>> a lot of emphasis on the firemonkey components and as far as I have read
>> the framework will ship for both Windows and OSX from the get go. The
>> mobile platforms will be added at a later date.
>

> This "they will be added at a later date" is exactly the point. They
> release a product as the successor to XE2 and leave those people in
> the rain that already built upon the mobile components provided by XE2.

Well I haven't used XE2 myself, but the impression I get, both from
Embarcadero and from others, was that the mobile solution was not really
too userfriendly. You have to jump a not insignificant number of hoops
to get it running. Keeping that in mind I would guess that the number of
people that is actually affected by this delay is reasonably small. Also
keeping in mind that they are not cancelling anything, but just delaying
the mobile platform until they feel it is ready, I really think this is
a small issue. I would actually give Embarcadero credit for realizing
that part of their product is not quite ready and admitting it outright.

There are plenty of good reasons to be sceptical of Embarcaderos
handling of Delphi, but this isn't one of them, in my opinion anyway.

Anders