[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Michael Fuchs freepascal at ypa-software.de
Tue Aug 28 12:48:57 CEST 2012

Am 28.08.2012 12:13, schrieb Michael Schnell:
 >>> Ok, but if there are reef-counted objects what is the point in not
 >>> using them ?
 >>
 >> I would not use them, because of my experiences with the garbage
 >> collector of .NET. After using it, I know that I should decide when a
 >> object has to be destroyed.
 >>

 > I don't understand. While the visible effect is the same (no Free any
 > more), I understand that the concept of  garbage collecting ("at
 > certain times, take a look what is not used any more") and fpc's
 > reference counting (delete unused stuff at once when it is clear that
 > nobody uses it any more) is completely different.

Reference counting is one type of garbage collecting. And every type
causes overhead and problems.

 > I understand that the reference counting works perfectly with strings,
 > so I don't see why it should not work with Objects (even if additional
 > issues might need to be taken into account and it might be appropriate
 > to allow for not reference counted objects, optionally).

But how to know, if a reference is unused? Have a look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_counting#Dealing_with_reference_cycles

It is not a problem that is caused every time. But I prefer objects
which I destroy by myself, not by some magic.

Michael