[Lazarus] Components dcu?

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:32:27 CEST 2012

I'd also like to see Lazarus supporting dynamically loaded components.

My biggest problem with the whole thing isn't recompiling lazarus (it
takes a few seconds to a minute even in ages old computers), but
implementing plugin systems that can use the GUI. In my 3D world
editor ( http://chiselapp.com/user/badsector/repository/rtworld/home )
i'd like to have the sidebar contain panels and widgets registered by
plugins at some point.

My current solution is to replicate most of LCL's common controls in a
C friendly interface, expose that to plugins and recreate an API. This
is tedious, error prone and at the end of the day i don't get to use
Lazarus' strong point: its RAD GUI development features.

A "version independent" way for DLLs to communicate with each other
and the main program should be implemented so that concerns like
changing a minor version breaking all plugins wouldn't exist
(obviously if a DLL needs a feature/method/property that doesn't exist
in the main program it wont work, but the method should be at least
backwards compatible).

Kostas "Bad Sector" Michalopoulos