[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Aug 29 13:02:02 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 12:51 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I think we only need one "unicode string" type and be done with it.
> That "unicode string" type can support the official UTF-8, UTF-16 and
> UTF-32 encodings. That's it! No more other string types should be
> needed for modern applications.

I think very different.

We do need different string types, anyway, to be Delphi compatible. In
fact for the Delphi compiler the syntax for defining a string variable
does implement multiple different types that all are called String in
the source code. This is necessary to avoid the overhead fully dynamical
behavior of all strings would introduce, thus the compiler already knows
about the string type (aka predefined encoding) when it compiles a line
of source code. This is agreed to be a good thing regarding only
providing fully dynamical encoding.

FPC programs need to be able to read text files encoded in many
different encoding types. this includes the different string encoding
types provided by Delphi but should be extensible and supposedly support
for e.g. the funny html character encoding (I don't remember the name)
should be added right away.

Support for fully dynamically encoded strings should be available to
allow for doing functions that correctly deal with whatever encoding
without necessarily doing any conversion.

For me this asks for a decent hierarchy of string types and their
corresponding classes.

-Michael