[Lazarus] Lazarus support for Sorting is completely inadequate.

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 03:01:50 CET 2012

Avishai schrieb:
> The problem is that there is no way to know which sort algorithm to
> use for which language without a lot of experimenting.  It took quite
> a bit of time for me to find one that worked for Hebrew.

IMO the Unicode support libraries include various comparison functions,
not only for every language, but also for different sort orders
(alphabetic, alphanumeric, phone book...). So it's a matter of making
that support available to FPC/Lazarus.

> But more than that,  for globalization/localization the Language may
> not be known in advance.

Right :-(

A codepage can apply to multiple languages, so that usually the user or
coder has to specify the language to use for sorting. Both have the
option to set/use the OS codepage/language. But this won't help much
when a list can contain strings of multiple languages, in the worst case
at the same time!

DoDi