[Lazarus] New user interface for future major releases of Lazarus

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Dec 4 13:59:09 CET 2012

On 04/12/2012 12:44, Felipe Ferreira da Silva wrote:
> On 12-04-2012 09:31, Martin wrote:
>> Anyway, "improved with appropriated features": Which ones do you
>> think can not be done in a package? (Assuming that all needed methods
>> and hooks, are added to IDEIntf)?
> But wouldn't be easier make direct implementations on the IDE instead
> of make constant adaptations?

My general experience says, no it would not be easier.

That is, speaking of a propper implementation, with well designed code.
That may even end up cleaning some of the existing code.
But it is better to clean existing code, than to add more code that need
cleaning (I do NOT suggest that your code would need to)

Usually separation, such as archived by a package, helps finding design
weaknesses and helps improving the design. Assuming that a good design
must be archived either way, that does not add any work.

The only extra work, is to add some methods/events to the IDEIntf (and
call them from within the IDE code). That should mostly be declarations,
or very simple code, such as creating an OnSomethingHappened event,
instead of writing code inline. That are only a few lines. And strictly
spoken: 99% they would be needed for the design reasons anyway, so they
should not count as extra work at all.

Also: Such a feature will always start of with some bugs, that then will
be discovered and fixed. That is normal and expected.
Putting that directly into theIDE puts the old interface at risk too.
Separating it into a package reduces this risk.