[Lazarus] Is it possible to detect type in a generic class

xrfang xrfang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:18:52 CET 2012

Thanks a lot for the code sample.   TypeInfo will be useful, but for now I give up this route, because I hope it to be more "elastic" by providing an Append() method
if T is an array of something, otherwise no Append() method, this seems can only be achieved by inheritance instead of generics.

在 五, 12月 28, 2012 at 7:11 下午,Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> 写道:
On 28.12.2012 00:58, xrfang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I have a generic class like this:
>
> type
> TSerie = generic class
> public
> procedure Append(value: T);
> end

It should be "generic TSerie = class".

> then, in the Append procedure can I do something like:
>
> case *typeof*(T) of
> integer: // do something with integer
> string: // do someting with string
> ... ...
> end;

Don't use "TypeOf". The function you are looking for is called "TypeInfo" and works with every type, except Enums with jumps (e.g. TTestEnum = (teOne := 1, teTwo := 5)).

Here you have an example:

=== source begin ===

program tgentypes;

{$mode objfpc}

uses
typinfo;

type
generic TTest = class
class procedure DoSomething(aArg: T);
end;

{ TTestClass }

class procedure TTest.DoSomething(aArg: T);
var
ti: PTypeInfo;
begin
ti := TypeInfo(aArg);
case ti^.Kind of
tkInteger:
Writeln('Type is an integer');
tkAString:
Writeln('Type is an AnsiString');
tkUString:
Writeln('Type is a UnicodeString');
tkBool:
Writeln('Type is a Boolean');
tkEnumeration:
Writeln('Type is an enumeration');
tkSString:
Writeln('Type is a ShortString');
tkClass:
Writeln('Type is a class');
tkObject:
Writeln('Type is an object');
else
Writeln('Unhandled type: ', ti^.Kind);
end;
end;

type
TTestEnum = (teOne, teTwo, teThree);
TTestObject = object

end;

TTestLongInt = specialize TTest;
TTestAnsiString = specialize TTest;
TTestUnicodeString = specialize TTest;
TTestShortString = specialize TTest;
TTestBoolean = specialize TTest;
TTestTTestEnum = specialize TTest;
TTestTObject = specialize TTest;
TTestTTestObject = specialize TTest;

var
obj: TObject;
testobj: TTestObject;
begin
TTestLongInt.DoSomething(42);
TTestAnsiString.DoSomething('Hello World');
TTestUnicodeString.DoSomething('Hello World');
TTestShortString.DoSomething('Hello World');
TTestBoolean.DoSomething(True);
TTestTTestEnum.DoSomething(teOne);
TTestTObject.DoSomething(obj);
TTestTTestObject.DoSomething(testobj);
end.

=== source end ===

For getting the exact value of the argument you need to rely on the information provided by the RTTI as you can't use e.g. "IntToStr(aArg)" in case of an integer as you'll get a compiler error when you specialize the class with something that is not an Integer.

Regards,
Sven