[Lazarus] SEGFAULT: difference between pointer and dynarray?

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Sun Dec 30 12:41:04 CET 2012

> 1) what's the difference between open array and dynamic array? Is "array of
Integer" open or dynamic?

Open array can only be declared as parameter type, it can't be declared as a
variable type. When done in latter case, it will always be dynamic array.
The following example will explain:

type
  TDynIntArray = array of Integer;

procedure p1(a: TDynIntArray); // here a is dynamic array
procedure p2(a: array of Integer); // here a is open array

a good article explaining open array:
http://rvelthuis.de/articles/articles-openarr.html
so "array of Integer" can mean both, depending where and how it's declared.

> 2) How to report a bug, and I believe this maybe a bug in the fpc
> compiler?

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/How_do_I_create_a_bug_report

or just go to bugs.freepascal.org, login (create account if you don't have
one) and press report issue (the fields are mostly intuitive).