[Lazarus] Extending FCL documentation

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Feb 8 22:13:13 CET 2012

On 2/8/2012 15:36, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> Not every feature is about source code. In this thread we're also talking
>> about IDE help (e.g. about its windows and its features) and not the features
>> of the underlying code.
>
> See my note on the difference between context sensitive help and (offline)
> documentation.

ummm... in my old TP/BP 6/7 i hit F1 (cursor on an empty place) and get a window
(edit window) that pops up where i can choose from numerous links...

   compile
   run
   close
   open

then further down there is

   using turbo pascal windows
   using the editor
   find dialog box (text search)
   replace dialog
   edit menu
   file|save command
   file|save as command
   "block read" (^KR) dialog box
   "block write" (^KW) dialog box

all of these are related to how to use the ide and have nothing to do with
examples of source code... if i press SHIFT-F1, i get a beautiful index like one
would find at the back of a book and that leads me to all kinds of everything...
ide assistance, code assistance, compiler defines assistance, turbo vision
stuff, etc... if i place my cursor on a language related word and hit CTRL-F1,
then i'm taken to a section specific to that word... i would expect the same in
today's *RADEs when one has their cursor on a library routine included with the
*RADE...

so i don't see any real difference... hitting F1 should offer help for
everything related to the IDE, to the language, and to the library routines that
are available...

*RADE == Rapid Application Development Environment