[Lazarus] Extending FCL documentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:48:12 CET 2012

On 8 February 2012 22:36, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> See my note on the difference between context sensitive help and (offline)
> documentation.

"context sensitive help" relates to application help too, not just
source code / framework help.

In our fpGUI based software from work, and most Windows software, if
you are in a edit field in some dialog in your application, and you
press F1, you get show the help for that edit field. This is know as
"context sensitive help" too!  Now if that specific edit field doesn't
help it's own help, then normally it defaults to the current dialog
(as a whole) help.

[on a side note]
Now GTK or Qt Linux applications on the other hand absolutely suck at
context sensitive help. Normally they don't have any help, or they
default to the help start page of the whole application. Then it's the
users job to browse through the help looking for the information on a
specific edit field in a specific dialog. Useless!  [sometimes I even
wonder why I bother using Linux]

Now from my little experience on Mac OS X, it is nearly as bad as
Linux apps. Also Mac apps think you have a permanent internet
connection, because most offline help is just skeleton help. You need
internet access to get the full help. Again, pointless!
[end]

  - Graeme -