[Lazarus] RE : Trunk IDE won't display project's main form

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 17:14:40 CET 2012

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Ludo Brands schrieb:
>>> Sorry, I think I might have been ambiguous. It's the IDE which won't
>>> display the form when it tries to load the project, so it sounds
>>> suspiciously as though I might have to instrument IDE code- and quite
>>> frankly I don't know where to start.
>>>
>> When starting lazarus from console, do you get any error messages in the
>> console?
>
> That was misleading, see the response :-(
>
> Of interest are eventual error messages occuring when the application is
> started in the IDE (F9).

This could be misleading, since one of the first things the program does
is hide the main form (i.e. the one that's malformed in the IDE) and
display a database login form in its place.

When I compile the program for GTK2 and start it (F9), I get what looks
like a konsole window appear with

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:11.0".

While I believe the message is benign, I don't know what's opening the
konsole session- I've not seen it in the past.

I also get an "Execution stopped" dialog(ue), plus an active database
login window (a custom form, not a built-in).

On the konsole session used to start the IDE,

..
Compiling resource HeavyWethers.or
Linking HeavyWethers-i386-linux-gtk2
/usr/bin/ld: warning: link.res contains output sections; did you forget -T?
8281 lines compiled, 5.6 sec
23 warning(s) issued
43 hint(s) issued
12 note(s) issued
[TCompiler.Compile] end
[TMainIDE.DoRunProject] A
TMainIDE.DoInitProjectRun A True 0
TMainIDE.DoInitProjectRun B
TMainIDE.DoInitProjectRun
ProgramFilename=/usr/local/src/heavywethers/trunk/HeavyWethers-i386-linux-gtk2
[TDebugger.SetFileName]
"/usr/local/src/heavywethers/trunk/HeavyWethers-i386-linux-gtk2"
[TMainIDE.DoRunProject] B
[TMainIDE.DoRunProject] END
PR: /usr/local/src/heavywethers/trunk/HeavyWethers-i386-linux-gtk2 --debug
konsole(28994)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "change-profile"
with KXMLGUIFactory!
[TDebugger.SetFileName] ""

If I fill in the database login form execution appears to continue,
despite the "Execution stopped" dialog(ue), with a form displayed which
should display data derived from a database on a server. However nothing
useful is displayed, and a diagnostic (coloured asterisk) suggests that
the background thread that talks to the database has done what's
necessary but then things have ground to a halt.

So in short, I think there are (at least) two separate problems here:
the first is an IDE problem affecting GTK2, and the second is a possible
thread/sync problem which affects both GTK2 and Qt.

I know it's unwise to say this sort of thing, but I have no reason to
believe that the application code is faulty: it's been running fine for
more than a year.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk