[Lazarus] installing chm help

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:47:08 CET 2012

Am 15.02.2012 03:48, schrieb waldo kitty:
> On 2/14/2012 14:40, Sven Barth wrote:
>> On 14.02.2012 19:33, waldo kitty wrote:
>>> so why isn't this working??? what is the key step that has been left out
>>> of the instructions??
>>
>> What about trying not a keyword? What about things like "FileExists",
>> "TProcess", "TForm" (if the correct units are included of course).
>
> ok, so i opened my satsort project and placed the cursor on "Classes" in
> the uses statement and hit F1... /that/ worked! this project doesn't
> have any GUI stuffs and is not "process" oriented (AFAIK) so i didn't
> try those keywords (as i called them in my previous post)...
>
> the lhelp window is opening /two/ indicators on my w2k status bar
> (why??) and it is indicating "lcl[]" which indicates that it has found
> the lcl.chm file... but there is also a fcl.chm and rtl.chm in place...
>
> i am also getting a box, labeled "Help selector" to select one of
> several (two in this case) identical entries... why is this??
>
> also basic things like 'writeln', 'write', and similar do not give any
> help... but then some stuff, like 'integer' popup with a "Help selector"
> window as mentioned above and one of the two RTL (ahh! found a RTL[]
> hit) options (objpas.pp) talks about "redefinition of integer as 32-bit
> type" whereas the other one (systemh.inc) says "a signed 16-bits
> integer"...
>
> so which one is correct?

Both are correct. The default size of Integer in FPC is 2 Bytes (16
Bit). Only if you use mode Delphi or ObjFPC the size is 4 Bytes (32 Bit)
and there it is indeed introduced by the ObjPas unit which is
automatically included by the compiler in these modes.

> why are both being shown to me?
>
> why does basic stuff, eg: 'write' and 'writeln' not have any help at all?

I don't know. At least the two ARE documented.

> where is the help for items like 'PadRight', 'AddChar', 'PadLeft',
> 'AddCharR' and similar??

If you have the unit StrUtils included then it should work (it should be
rtl.chm).

> remember, "we" are coming at this as a pure newbie with some coding
> knowledge, no books, and an extremely simple background in programing...
> yes, much of the basic stuff really does need to be specified ;)

Regards,
Sven