[Lazarus] installing chm help

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Feb 15 18:52:28 CET 2012

On 2/15/2012 05:47, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 15.02.2012 03:48, schrieb waldo kitty:
>> but then some stuff, like 'integer' popup with a "Help selector"
>> window as mentioned above and one of the two RTL (ahh! found a RTL[]
>> hit) options (objpas.pp) talks about "redefinition of integer as 32-bit
>> type" whereas the other one (systemh.inc) says "a signed 16-bits
>> integer"...
>>
>> so which one is correct?
>
> Both are correct. The default size of Integer in FPC is 2 Bytes (16 Bit). Only
> if you use mode Delphi or ObjFPC the size is 4 Bytes (32 Bit) and there it is
> indeed introduced by the ObjPas unit which is automatically included by the
> compiler in these modes.

yes, so i've found out... my project is (now) "{$mode objfpc}{$H+}" whereas
before it was in "turbo pascal mode" when i started it in text mode FPC... i had
to switch to using lazarus because i wanted the HasOption stuff for easier
command line processing which seems to only be available in a TApplication...
this is something else i tentatively plan to write about and ask why HasOption
and related functions are not available for all and a TApplication then uses
them... i made some rather large changes to my project which should be quite
simple and "small" :?

>> why are both being shown to me?
>>
>> why does basic stuff, eg: 'write' and 'writeln' not have any help at all?
>>

> I don't know. At least the two ARE documented.

yes, they are documented but i guess that lhelp shows all entries when it cannot
determine which one is specific to the code in question... there were a few
others that showed me 5 or 6 options to choose from to see their definitions...

another thing with that is that i then had to close lhelp and hit F1 again to go
back to the choice dialog to choose another reference to read and see if it was
what i was after...

>> where is the help for items like 'PadRight', 'AddChar', 'PadLeft',
>> 'AddCharR' and similar??
>
> If you have the unit StrUtils included then it should work (it should be rtl.chm).

i do and they, themselves, work but the "latest stable" documentation pointed to
by the default F1 help page -> the wiki takes you to sourceforge where i chose
the before named file to download...

earlier i followed another path from the wiki (i believe dodi pointed me to it)
and come up with a whole different set of documentation archives that appear to
also be for the "latest stable" version :?