[Lazarus] installing chm help

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Feb 16 03:10:01 CET 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:34:55 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/15 Mattias Gaertner :
> > Just an idea:
> >
> > The chmhelppkg can use this to perform a search in lhelp. Then F1 would show
> > lhelp with the search results.
>

> In that case, why bother with the chmhelppkg in the first place? What
> you are describing, is exactly what I do with the "docview integration
> via External Tools menu item". I use the current token macro from the
> IDE, and pass that to DocView as a search parameter, which then does
> the search across all INF files.

Maybe you missed my mail in this storm of threads.

The token is only one word. It misses the context. It can not
distinguish between a TStrings.LoadFromFile and a
TMemoryStream.LoadFromFile. Or think about the "Create". Only
if the search for the specific item fails only then should the help use
a simple word search.

> From all the discussions in this mailing list, my solution seems much
> more accurate (in terms of search results) than letting the IDE do the
> searching. This was my experience ages ago too - hence I never
> bothered created a "docview help package for lazarus".

The IDE only provides extra context information. How the help
uses this information is completely up to the help.
DocView ignores it completely, chmhelppkg is too picky.
I think the best solution is something in between.

Mattias