[Lazarus] installing chm help

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Feb 16 05:12:40 CET 2012

On 2/15/2012 14:09, Andrew Haines wrote:
> On 02/15/12 13:45, waldo kitty wrote:
>
>> i note that martin has added a step 6 to those wiki instructions... it
>> has you confirm that HelpExe is proper and also says to set
>> HelpFilesPath to where the chm files are... but[!!] i _have not_ changed
>> HelpFilesPath from its blank setting and the help /is/ working but not
>> for all terms tested... i'm not sure, at all, what is going on there or
>> why it is working without that field being filled in...
>
> The server uses a default path if it is blank. IIRC if the path is blank
> and the chm's don't exist Lazarus will tell you where to put the files.

this is good to know but it is not, AFAIKT, documented anywhere... and i cannot
confirm the "lazrus will tell you where" item :?

> Generally all the fileds can be blank and as long as the chm's are in
> the right folder it will work.

ok... that does seem to be working... so, with that in mind, why has step6 been
added to the wiki which contains a note to ensure that the chm path for the chm
files is defined??

remember, i'm coming at this as a jack who doesn't know poop from poop... i
am/can only rely on what i'm told by the various URLs...

> Also last I knew you don't even have to compile lhelp since Lazarus will
> build it for you.

really? under what circumstances would this be? AFAICT, i've never had lhelp
built for me from the SVN...

>> [wow, i didn't realize that my thread would cause such a stir as it has...]
>
> Yep, some stuff is exciting to the masses. :)
>
> Clearly there are some issues (perceived or real) with access to the
> documentation or quantity of the documentation or form of the documentation.

you're just being nice ;P ;)

andn actually, i am too... but i am one of (apparently very few) who
need/require /offline/ documentation to be equal to or (even better) local
documentation... in my mind, offline documentation should come first and then
(possibly!!) linking to online documentation for the equivalent or less...

in other words, *offline documentation* is a /much higher/ requirement than
online documentation... yeah, sure, online documentation might be easier but it
has many drawbacks and the major one is the blanket thinking that everyone is
online all the time...