[Lazarus] Lazarus slow on large files

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:48:08 CET 2012

On 16 February 2012 04:21, Mattias Gaertner  wrote:

> TStringGrid in messages?

Yes, I believe the Messages window used to use a StringGrid (or was
that a ListView or ListBox?).

> Funny idea. What editor uses a grid to show lines of text?

Funny idea, what editor uses a TreeView to show lines of text (and not
representing a tree)?

> Who needs 8 million rows in a string grid?
> I tried 1 million and it took 4 secs.

I can't remember how the 8 million figure came up. I was implementing
a log viewer and the applications I used, generated a crap load of log
entries very fast. The LCL app couldn't keep up ran at 100% CPU load
for over three hours without displaying anything.

Jesus confirmed the problem, but it was a low priority for him to look
into. For the full message thread you are welcome to read the
following:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.lazarus.general/46420/focus=46439

>From the replies in that thread, it seems ListView had similar
problems, but I don't recall ever testing that personally.

As for your comment about why use a StringGrid. It is one of those
components that are greatly underestimated (if it performs well -
which the fpGUI one does). I use StringGrid components extensively in
all my applications. I also use custom painting to make grids not
always look like grids or at lest very different to a stock standard
TStringGrid.

  - Graeme -