[Lazarus] installing chm help

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Feb 16 13:22:57 CET 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:11:35 +0100
Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

> On 02/16/2012 12:49 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> >
> > It asks the registered help databases. See View / IDE internals /
> > About IDE / help.
> > The help databases do the real search and how they do that is
> > completely up to them.
> >
> IMHO it would be better to have the help viewer do this step (after
> being provided by the IDE with the necessary information). By this the
> format and handling of "help database" is up to the help viewer.
> Otherwise it would not be decently selectable.

The selection dialog is only shown if multiple databases have help for
the same thing (e.g. the unit classes.pp in the fpc sources).
You can disable the default databases. AFAIK the chmhelppkg does that.
This way the selection dialog is never shown and the user directly
gets the viewer.
The context information is always collected and passed to the help.

If the user installs multiple helps for the same thing, then he gets
the selection dialog. Sounds reasonable to me.

Mattias