[Lazarus] installing chm help

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 17 10:32:42 CET 2012

On 02/16/2012 06:14 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> It's not the IDE, it's the Editor that has to determine the context.
??? The editor is part of the IDE
> If it finds an identfier (Visible), it must invoke help for its
> declaration. If it finds a reserved word, it must invoke the language
> reference database instead. For help on a control in an dialog the
> designer of the dialog is responsible, by adding the proper "word"
> (search path) to the control's HelpKeyword or HelpContext.
Nope. with Button1.Visible we want help on TButton (or more specific:
TButton.Visible (if exist) or (some parent of TButton.visible), but not
on the Visible of some completely unrelated stuff that might exist
somewhere else. The help package can (or at least could) know the parent
hierarchy of TButton, but it can't know that in this source file in this
user project the type of "Button1" is "TButton". Thus the IDE (at least)
needs to provide "TButton" together with "Visible" in this example.
> FPDoc already does an good job in linking to inherited classes or
> methods, so that a help viewer has all information for narrowing down
> the request to the closest existing help entry.
All this does not help in any way, if the help viewer is not provided
with the type of "Button1" in this example. (The user might have decided
to call the thingy Michael instead of Button1.)

-Michael