[Lazarus] Lazarus trunk help options: CHM Help browser does not show up

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 17 20:05:51 CET 2012

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 03:37:49PM +0100, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> If you want to create the RTL and FCL docs during installation, you can
>>> use according project files. These files are e.g. created by the
>>> FPDocManager.
>> That's news...must have not been paying attention.
>> What are these project files called? Can I get them when installing FPC
>> only (i.e. without Lazarus)
>
> In theory
>
> make chm DOCS="rtl fcl" should do it, but it currently hits windows
> commandline limits. (see below to get an idea)

Where is the DOCS option (and more) documented?

> Dodi is right that the
> bulk of the definition of filenames and paths should move out of the
> makefile and into a project file. Michael is working on this, but still
> WIP.

The problem was not the length of the commandline. The AVs are/were due
to duplicate include paths or defines, created from the MakeFile. This
should have been fixed in FPDoc already.

>>> In the case of the FPC documentation some paths have to be
>>> fixed, so that the other builds can e.g. find the content files. Since
>>> the FPC descriptions do not change very often, you can distribute the
>>> project files together with your installer.
>
> (IMHO this should not be needed. A system that relies on random hardcoded
> paths in a particular setup is flawed)

References to the content files of required packages require
installation-specific pathes. The installer should know, however, in
which directories the files reside, and can create the commandlines
accordingly.

Another problem is the OStarget, which is somewhat hard-coded in the
MakeFile, and then mixed with the current platform in the MakeFile.
FPDoc adds further defines to the input specs, to increase the confusion
and chance for errors. The input specifiers in a project include the
settings derived on the machine on which the project was created, which
will mix up with the settings added by FPDoc at runtime. One such
problem has already been fixed in the MakeFile.

And one more problem are inconsistent directory separators. At least I
had to fix several paths already, before passing them to fpdoc or makeskel.

> ----------------------
>

> D:\repo\fpcdocs>make CHM DOCS="rtl fcl"
> make html HTMLFMT=chm
> make[1]: Entering directory `D:/repo/fpcdocs'
[...]
This looks like an apostrophe (single quoted) added to the path?
More such single quotes, used instead of double quotes in the MakeFile,
cause error messages on Windows, like reported here:
> '..' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> make[1]: *** [rtl.chk] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/repo/fpcdocs'
> make: *** [CHM] Error 2

These bugs should have been fixed in the MakeFile already.

More errors can follow (on make rtl.chk), when the CSS file is not
found, and when "touch" is not found as a command. Both errors are not
fatal, except that the CSS file is not used, but should be avoided, somehow.

DoDi