[Lazarus] Looking for a general text editor

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:45:35 CET 2012

On 19 February 2012 13:53, Bart wrote:
> But most of the time when I'm solving Lazarus bugs, when I'm done
> Lazarus is many revisions ahead.

That doesn't matter. The repository will warn you about that, and the
chances of somebody else making changes on the exact same lines of
code in a  project is very small.

> I prefer submitting patches to the bugtracker and let someone who

svn, git, hg etc are all tools a developer should know well. I can't
imagine any software project without a repository of some sorts. I
only use git, and I don't even write a test app without initialising a
git repository. And while developing even a test app, I commit often.
This gives me unlimited undo functionality. Oh, and in case you didn't
know, git doesn't require a public repository or a repository server.

>> Another more versatile option is to use git-svn. That means you work
>> with a SVN repository but managed by Git.
>
> Need a new computer for that.

I got no idea why you think that?
I can say that on average projects a full history git repository takes
up much less space than a single revision checkout in SVN. So from a
hard drive space point of view, git uses less space. Just so you know,
when I develop from home, it is on a 8 year old Dell laptop. It is
definitely not the fastest computer on the block (compared to today's
standards), but it still works perfectly for Free Pascal based
development work.

  - Graeme -