[Lazarus] Looking for a general text editor

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:54:40 CET 2012

On 19 February 2012 15:36, Bart  wrote:
> Preferably I would like to end up with a file in which alterations
> made (not by me) are somehow marked in that file, so I can easily
> detect them and see if they interfere with my patch.

Git works perfectly in that case. Making your changes in a local
branch. When you do an update, the master branch (svn calls this
Trunk) is updated, not your local branch. You can then easily compare
changes manually, or simply tell git to rebase your local branch
against master - meaning it will bring you local branch up to date
WHEN IT SUITES YOU. Git resolves merges very well, and it will report
on conflicts if it couldn't resolve them automatically. If you are not
ready to fix them immediately, stash them for later, or roll back the
rebase action.

This might all sound complicated, but it fact it isn't. It's just
three simple commands: git pull, git rebase and git reset.

Anyway, it's obviously up to you to decide what you want to do, or how
you interact with a public project. But I would highly recommend you
get familiar with code repositories - they are vital in software
development projects.

  - Graeme -