[Lazarus] fpweb <> fcl-web

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:21:21 CET 2012

2012/2/24 Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com>

> Ops, didn't see that Juha was asking the original question =D Sorry
> for answering like that.
>
> There are probably some articles on the subject that Michael can send you.

No problem.
In fact the examples are good and learning with them would be easy.
Now the problem only is that this whole thing doesn't work well with
FPC2.4.4 which is the default version in Ubuntu.
Also, Lazarus gave errors when trying to open a webform. It started to
install an extra package but failed.

I realised I can't use it now for our embedded ARM project. The ARM machine
has Ubuntu and the development machines will have Ubuntu or Windows.
I will make some web UIs using PHP instead. It will only write config files
and is not speed critical.
This is not criticism for the FPC/Lazarus web packages. I believe they are
good in recent versions. Configuring the tool-chain just would be too
difficult now. There are many people participating and the project is
already challenging enough.

The project is about making an internet router using a DreamPlug ARM +
Linux based gatget and any open source SW. The router performance will be
interesting. It has a fast 1.2 GHz CPU and 2 fast ethernet connections.
However commercial routers (like Cisco) use custom hardware for fast
throughput.

We should have a proof-of-concept version ready soon and then we join other
similar groups in a 2 week session and regroup the people to finish the
other projects. Uhhh... let's see how we manage to pull it all together.

Juha