[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Sun Feb 26 07:34:59 CET 2012

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:08:11 +0100
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Reimar Grabowski <reimgrab at web.de> wrote:
> > But neither FPC nor Lazarus can give you all the goodies the Android SDK Eclipse plugin can give you
>
> If everyone had your attitude Lazarus wouldn't have a Android
> widgetset.
That's no problem for me as I do not intend to use it, but I already praised your work on Android so I am thankful for what the people developing Lazarus have achieved, you included.

> Probably wouldn't even exist, you can always use Swing.
I don't use Java for desktop apps so Swing is not an option, but QT and C++ are a nice team for cross plattform desktop development. :)

> But I question what for send such a negative non-construtive comment
> for a volunteer-based project? Just to push the morale down?
Calling Object Pascal my favorite language by far and FPC a very good compiler is negative? Perhaps you should read the whole mail, not just parts of it and never forget that we use english to communicate and not our native languages.
I was just stating that there are other tools out there that may be better suited for a given task. Most of the time projects just need to get done. If Lazarus/FPC helps me to get them done faster, great. If not I take other tools. I just don't have the luxury (meaning time) to first implement all the stuff that is missing and then start with the project.
Why is your morale pushed down when I state that I think that Eclipse is a better tool for Android development than Lazarus? First of all it is only my opinion not a general truth. And second and more importantly and as I tried to state in my first mail the Pascal fanaticism is sometimes a little to much for me and I don't think that it helps the projects either. I can say that the core developers mostly take no big part in bashing other languages and tools but such threads are started on a regular basis (have seen enough of them in the last 10 years) and they convey the image of Pascal developers being religious zealots.
'Pascal owns so hard the rest just sucks' (<- DANGER! Exaggeration!) is not really a professional position. FPC and Lazarus are great projects (see I did it again) but other languages and IDEs are good, too. Sometimes they are even better suited for a given task. If you implement all the stuff you need to get FPC/Lazarus on par for such tasks, more power to you, but not everybody has the luxury (meaning time) to do this.
I think everybody on this list likes Pascal a lot but at least for me there are good reasons not to use it exclusivly (and if I read the mails correctly for other people, too). It should be no problem for a healthy community to accept that FPC/Lazarus cannot excel everywhere. That's all there is to it. Hope I made myself clearer this time.

R.