[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:03:12 CET 2012

On 25 February 2012 22:29, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/2/25 Frank Church :
> > who ask themselves "If I am starting a new project, is Pascal the right
> one?
> > Of course not!"
>
> <snip>
>

> In relation to Eclipse above, The minimum 2Gb or even 4Gb or RAM needed to
> > run Eclipse is not much these days.
>
> I still think that is crazy!!! [I don't care how cheap RAM has become]
> MSEide loaded with a large project, and after heavy use and debug
> sessions, uses a mere 30-60Mb RAM. And no, I don't believe MSEide and
> Eclipse are in the same league - I'm just pointing out the HUGE RAM
> usage difference (bloat in Eclipse)! But then, we all know that even a
> Java "hello world" app is memory hungry.
>
> If you really want to compare Java vs Java, then compare Eclipse to
> IntelliJ IDEA. The latter uses a fraction of the memory that Eclipse
> requires - and it is much faster too.
>
> > With Pascal I have to repeatedly
> > compile to track them down.

This is not so much a criticism of the language, but the facilities within
the available IDEs. Lazarus community has no where near the resources of
the Eclipse community et al, I understand that.

Another point is that Intellisense helps you to understand how everything
hangs together, especially when you are not familiar with the domain.It
gives you a birds-eye view even before you have to compile anything.

Often it is also because most Pascal compilers are so damn fast! You
> don't need to waist development time to make the IDE guess any syntax
> errors while you type. Simply let the compiler tell you - because it
> can compile a project is seconds. Delphi is a case in point.
>

> > How about the reluctance to put documentation in library code?
>
> Have you ever seen Object Pascal code that is well documented, and
> that uses inline documentation (docs inside the source code units)???
> The documentation obfuscates the code so much, it is damn hard to read
> the actual code. We had this problem with tiOPF, and since moved to
> fpdoc style documentation.
>

> NOTE:
> When I say "documentation", I don't mean a one liner summary, I mean
> clear documentation with at least 3+ paragraphs minimum for every
> procedure, function or identifier. Such long text do not belong mixed
> up inside Object Pascal source code!

When I said 'documentation' I didn't mean the whole nine yards, but
something on the input and output parameters, a short summary of what it
does and how it lnks to others, nota benes or gotchas. Something enough to
understand the code, enough to understand the program state when applied,
for programming by contract etc.This could be used as stub for what goes
into the main fpdoc file.

Apart from input and output parameters less than 5 lines would be enough,
unless there are some additional points to be noted.

 Most of the time when you are programming you just want to know that the
inputs and outputs are correct, you don't need to understand the code
itself or be an expert in that domain. Lazarus and FPCs approach to
documentation cannot be described as support this. Not only that the editor
can fold them out of view and display them when you want them.

You didn't think I was referring to something on the order of the Delphi
docs did you :)

--
> Regards,
>  - Graeme -