[Lazarus] What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:14:07 CET 2012

On 27 February 2012 10:15, Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?
>
> Is it Free Pascal?
>
> --
> Frank Church

What license are FPC and Lazarus, are they GPL?

I think somehow a way must be found of getting Pascal identified with Free
Pascal on the Linux platform if it is the most widely used. How about
Lazarus Pascal. The problem with Free Pascal, actually most of the older
languages is that there tend to be many variations and some what different
dialects. There is more or less only one Ruby, one Python, one PHP, one
Scala, you know whatever. There are a few variants of Ruby but so long as
they can all run Ruby on Rails who cares?

This how I see things.

1. Establish Free Pascal as THE Pascal, THE Object (based) Pascal on Linux

2. A way must be found of uncoupling the Free Pascal, the LCL, the FCL and
the Lazarus IDE.

3. The Lazarus IDE (which should be the killer app) must be clearly
distinguished. a) as Pascal IDE , ie dealing purely with Pascal Source
code, b) an IDE that integrates well with the Non Visual aspects of the LCL
e.g. fcl-web for instance c) a graphic based IDE akin to Delphi

4. Both WIKIs are need a makeover. I am sure this has been discussed before
:), but the image is really important. Far lesser projects somehow project
a more 'professional' image just because of their websites. Lazarus wiki is
like the Foyles bookshop of the past if not the present,or like some kind
of army surplus store. You can find nearly everything you want, probably
everything but it is not as organized and as slick as the competition. A
lot of the websites of other projects hardly contain anything, but they all
look modern and up to date.

5. This requires an increase in the uptake of Pascal. I mean if a language
like D can get so much attention and have libraries being created for it
why can't Pascal which has been longer established.

6.  I guess one major shortcoming of Pascal is it is not immediately
identified with objects, like C. Can Free Pascal simply change its name to
Object Pascal
Honestly I think the name is probably the biggest problem if in an era of
objects everything it is not associated with Pascal due to its age and past.

In short how does Pascal get itself restablished?

--
Frank Church