[Lazarus] Can't compile trunk with fpc 2.4.5 under ubuntu

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Feb 29 08:55:55 CET 2012

On 02/28/2012 04:13 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> And instead of introducing yet another type or another special
> encoding we could just leverage the features FPC has today and use
> TBytes.
I agree, if all features are in place:
  - its available out of the box (in the RTL)
  - it has all string functions in fully compatible way:
    - can do "+" (via operator overload)
    - can do pos(), copy(), delete() and friends via overloaded functions
    - conversion from and to Unicode String (via operator overload ? )
    - conversion to pchar (how ? )
    - does reference counting, lazy copy and auto re-alloc on resizing
operations.
    - TByteStringList (are there more relevant string handling objects)
is provided out of the box in a fully compatible and equally versatile way
  - no performance degradation.

If this is not possible I vote for simply doing ByteString = ANSIString
(and TByteStringList = TANSIStringList)  (provided that "ANSIString"
_is_ the pre 2009 String type as seemingly done in DXE).

-Michael