[Lazarus] FPDocManager

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 11:04:57 CET 2012

After some refactoring the documentation manager (examples/fpdocmanager)
seems to work again, better than before :-)

Now it can create the projects for the RTL/FCL documentation, as well as
for any Lazarus applications and packages. I'll add some documentation
about the most interesting units now.

There remain questions about the content of the LCL documentation, since
the LCL split into LazUtils, LCLBase and LCL packages. IMO the LCL docs
should include the LCLBase and LazUtils packages, but not the widgetset
specific LCL package. What do you think?

Furthermore I'm thinking about OS specific documentation, because the
RTL docs are layed out for a Linux system, so that items may be missing
or contain inappropriate Linux specific information when the
documentation is created on a Windows machine. The reason is the include
path, used when the units are parsed for the declaration locations -
what leads to many empty entries for Windows specific identifiers, and
excluded items which are not or differently declared for Windows.

FPDoc allows to document an unit in multiple XML files, so that the SVN
documentation can be extended with user supplied or platform or
widgetset specific documentation. The manager can be extended to include
such additional XML files, based on a given OS or widgetset. But before
I start I'd like to know whether such options will be used at all.

The same for national documentation - does anybody work on non-English
FPC or Lazarus documentation? The documentation manager could replace
the default XML docs (English) by other files, depending on the target
language.

DoDi