[Lazarus] LCL and custom keyboard layouts

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 14:32:00 CET 2012

Over the last few weeks I've hacked together a partial APL
implementation, for use as a way of specifying lists of numbers etc.
when passing commands between computers implementing a large distributed
system. For test purposes I've compiled it on Linux as a command-line
app and am using FPC's keyboard unit to implement a layout similar to
http://www.aplusdev.org/keyboard.html, with Alt as meta and Esc to go
into composition mode (use cursor keys to move between the glyphs on
each key). Internal storage is in widestrings, external files etc. UTF-8.

I now want to move the parser and evaluator into an LCL-based app, which
will ideally allow at least partial editing of APL-style expressions
rather than reading everything from configuration files.

What is the situation with LCL editing components, Synedit, Cmdline and
so on? Is there a single underlying keyboard component, or at least a
uniform interface?

In short, where do I start? :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd