[Lazarus] Cycle vs. Circle errors

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Thu Jan 5 10:26:07 CET 2012

On 05/1/12 12:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> In both cases the important thing is not so much the adjective
>> (circular, cyclic) but the combination of adjective plus noun, which
>> /should/ be used consistently in documentation and error messages.
>
> Yes.
> And since this is open source, it should also be consistent with
> the sources, which means the used structures and algorithms.
>
> I changed it to circular dependencies and endless loops because Google
> gave more results.

Thanks for clarifying this. Let's try to use 'circular dependencies' and
'endless loops' (or 'infinite loops' which is an equivalent phrase) and
their non-English translations in future comments and documentation, and
avoid 'cycle', 'circle', 'cyclic' and so on - not so much because they
are wrong (graph theory quite validly introduced them) but for
consistency and ease of understanding among Pascallers who don't know
graph theory (or only know it intuitively).