[Lazarus] Libc functions and types

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 19 18:12:08 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 03:38:32PM -0600, Craig Peterson wrote:
> On 1/17/2012 2:49 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > There is no Embarcadero Radstudio that supports Linux. In ancient times
> > there was Kylix, but it was buried. A part of it escaped, called unit libc,
> > but we finally caught up with it, and now it is dead and buried too.
>
> And now they have the Posix.* units which provide the same functionality
> in a more cross-platform manner.

Not supported by FPC atm.

> The original poster gave localtime_r as a specific example.  It's part of
> the OpenGroup's Unix specification (in time.h), but FreePascal only
> exposes it in libc.pas.

FPC doesn't expose it in any portable manner.

> If you don't want people using that header you really should provide a
> better alternative than just making everyone redeclare everything in their
> own units.

Patches and submissions of such units are welcome. Note that this is the
first time that this has come up.

For calls for which it has come up more frequently, this has already
happened (password and network resolving among others)