[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jan 27 12:25:52 CET 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:59:23 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

> Marco van de Voort wrote:
> >> Right. So as I said earlier: where's the idiot's guide to getting the
> >> up-to-date files and putting them where they'll do most good,
> >
> > The readme in the relevant docs-chm archive?
>
> Look, I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt here but in front of me
> I've got Lazarus 0.9.31. I go to the menu and hit "Help": it fires up a
> browser and takes me to online help. Nowhere there does it say anything
> about docs-chm.

I added a note about offline help with chmhelp and docview.
Maybe the mainainers can give me a short sentence or link for each help
viewer. So people know where to start.

> I hit F1 over a reserved word, it brings up a dialogue complaining about
> a missing file. Nowhere there does it say anything about docs-chm.

I could add some hints. Here I need a sentence from the help viewer
maintainers too.

> I usually build Lazarus from source, downloading from svn. Nowhere there
> does it say anything about docs-chm, or it certainly said nothing when I
> started working like that four or five years ago.
>
> So I go to http://www.freepascal.org/ and there's online documentation,
> or PDFs etc. Nothing to integrate with Lazarus.

True. "Integration" is not the goal of this kind of documentation.

> So I go to http://lazarus.freepascal.org/. There's no online
> documentation.

It's called "Wiki".

>[...]