[Lazarus] RE : RE : LCL and custom keyboard layouts

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 19:46:43 CET 2012

Ludo Brands wrote:
>> Thanks Ludo. I'm already doing a bit of custom stuff to get
>> A+ running
>> (arguably the largest free APL that still uses the original
>> characters).
>> But the question remains: once inside a Lazarus app, can I
>> hook keycodes
>> using a custom procedure, translate them to Unicode, and inject them
>> into the currently-focussed edit-capable control?
>>

> Lazarus uses utf8. If your system is also using utf8 you shouldn't be doing
> anything special to get these characters inside a control (apart eventually
> from the font not being able to display the special characters). If I do a
> 'setxkbmap -layout ru' on my en_GB.UTF-8 machine, I get russian characters
> everywhere, including lcl controls.

Although setxkbmap assumes that somebody with admin rights has set up
the appropriate files: I'm fairly certain that there's not a standard
one for APL (which is, at best, a minority interest). You can do a bit
with xmodmap, but things rapidly start getting messy: X has been rather
halfhearted in its embrace of Unicode.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk