[Lazarus] OpenSUSE KDE keeps stealing my IDE shortcuts

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:20:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've been forcefully pushed to change Linux Distros (from Ubuntu to
OpenSUSE). I've been running the very stable Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for very
long. But I recently upgraded to a new system, and 10.04 seems to lack
some hardware support. The latest (K)Ubuntu 12.04 is damn unstable
(random total system freezes - the mouse doesn't even move), and I
absolutely hate the Unity interface. Gnome 3 is no better.
Unfortunately switching the desktop to something like JWM doesn't help
because of the system freezes - which seems to be a unstable OS
(kernel) issue.

So I'm trying OpenSUSE 12.1 (64-bit), and so far the OS is stable, but
KDE is still something to get used to. Anyway, to get to the point. I
have installed (copied) all my old development folders to the new
system, and setup FPC as I normally had it. Compiling Lazarus IDE, and
my other projects works as expected.

What is happening though, is that KDE (I think) is stealing my
keyboard shortcuts, so they don't work in Lazarus IDE (compiled with
LCL-GTK2) or MSEide for that matter. eg; Ctrl+F4 to close an editor
file doesn't work, and I am forced to use the mouse.

Anybody know where in KDE do I look for global keyboard shortcuts, so
I can disable Ctrl+F4 usage in KDE? I've already looked in "System
Settings -> Shortcuts and Gestures", and searched for Ctrl+F4, but
nowhere do I see an existing entry.  Where else can I look? Does this
happen to other KDE users too?

  - Graeme -