[Lazarus] Lazarus helpfiles

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:14:09 CEST 2012

On 10/07/2012 13:30, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> (reason : am I the only one that downloads and runs whatever the
>> pre-packaged installable version is, rather than svn/git ???)
>

> You are not the only one. I would even say, most people downloading
> the installers want some help files.
>
> Most people also prefer one download instead of multiple downloads.
> So the help files should be included in the normal installers.
>

> Mattias

Well, I didn't dare to propose this for 3 reasons :
- chm package is 16.3MB, adding to already heavy 78.8MB lazarus installer exe,
not cool for some people who are bandwidth-challenged; If the plain-text html
is the same content, that could be included by default, possibly.

- documentation updates - may they happen in between releases ? if so, it is
easier to download docs as separate exe and just launch (under windows) or
run 'sudo apt-get upgrade' (under *buntu for example) which happens automatically
if set up so (not everybody has a taste or time for RSS updates ...)

- packaging / splitting requirements of different distros (you may heard of them)...
requiring somebody to create a meta-package with correct dependencies (and maintaining it)

Oh and one more p from me :
++ default windows (xp) system installation does not include a program that can open
.tar.bz2, please consider adding other options...?

Kind Regards,
L.