[Lazarus] Lazarus helpfiles

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Jul 10 18:46:02 CEST 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:14:09 +0100
Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> Well, I didn't dare to propose this for 3 reasons :
> - chm package is 16.3MB, adding to already heavy 78.8MB lazarus installer exe,
> not cool for some people who are bandwidth-challenged; If the plain-text html
> is the same content, that could be included by default, possibly.

The chms are basically the compressed html files.
The offline help was requested for users with limited bandwidth.

> - documentation updates - may they happen in between releases ? if so, it is
> easier to download docs as separate exe and just launch (under windows) or
> run 'sudo apt-get upgrade' (under *buntu for example) which happens automatically
> if set up so (not everybody has a taste or time for RSS updates ...)

There are no plans for documentation upgrades for releases.

> - packaging / splitting requirements of different distros (you may heard of them)...
> requiring somebody to create a meta-package with correct dependencies (and maintaining it)

AFAIK debian does that.
But the packages on the official download site (sourceforge) should
be only a few files to download. Ideally: only one per platform.

> Oh and one more p from me :
> ++ default windows (xp) system installation does not include a program that can open
> .tar.bz2, please consider adding other options...?

Yes, that should be zip.

Mattias